Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Coupons Curbing My Behavior


Day 3


In the past, I haven’t really been an avid couponer, so today, when I was pondering my history with coupons and advertising, I had a hard time coming up with a personal anecdote:  Mostly because I was focusing on my grocery store experiences. But there is one area where coupons have had an effect on my behavior: In my consumption of coffee.

I used to go to one coffee house each day on my way to work. This may seem extravagant to some, but really I was only spending about $2 a day on this luxury because all I would ever get was a small iced coffee.

Then one day I was in a hurry, and the kids were all strapped into their car seats, and my usual place didn’t have a drive through window, so I went to Dunkin Donuts. I ordered the same thing that I always ordered, a small iced coffee. And it cost about the same as I was used to paying at the other place. But this time, the small was much larger than I was used to. And I didn’t have to get myself and the kids out of the car. In addition, the receipt included a survey code that would give me a free donut, if I completed the survey, the next time I ordered coffee. And the woman at the register gave me a rewards card that entitled me to a free coffee after I purchased 8 coffees.

 I did do the survey, and when I returned to Dunkin Donuts, I got my usual coffee and a free donut. And I got my rewards card stamped. Since then, I still visit my regular coffee house. But more often than not, I go to Dunkin Donuts. It is nice to get the free donut each time I go (which I share with my kids) and it is nice to get a free coffee on my eighth visit.

And today, was one of those great 8th visits, so I got coffee, and spent  nothing. You got to love moments like that!

 

 

 

Dunkin Donuts receipt has survey directions:
Complete survey for a free donut with next
medium or larger drink purchase!

 

 
 

SAVINGS TO DATE:  $ 15.20 ( previous amount +2.35 saved on coffee today using my rewards program card)

 TIME SPENT TODAY:  0 

2 comments:

  1. I love your journaling about your experience as a couponer. $15.20 and counting... congrats!

    Wonderful post and an outstanding blog!

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The savings so far are pretty good! But what is really cool is that I am trying products and brands that I may not have tried before.

    ReplyDelete