Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Walgreens Part 3: A Tale of Two Transactions


Day 15


I had 2 coupons good for $2 off of a purchase of $10. So even though this blog entry is going to be about yet another trip to Walgreens, I am sure you understand that I absolutely HAD to go. $2 off of any purchase is just TOO GOOD to pass up.

Which brings me at an interesting juncture in this couponing experiment: I need to think about spending money in order to save money.

After all, no one in their right mind would go to Walgreens three days in a row. You just go to the pharmacy when you need something. It’s a sort of stop you do in between shopping trips to the grocery store. I have never heard of anyone making it their hang out.

But when you are couponing, you have to grab the sales while you can. And stock up on items when you can. Which make these past three days spending days in which I am saving time and money “in the future”, but definitely spending more than I would in the “present moment.”

Transaction #1: Diapers, Hair Color, Toothpaste

Diapers- 6.49 with sale price (9.99-$1.50 coupon-$2.00 Walgreens Coupon)

Hair Color- $0.49 (2.49- $2.00 coupon)

Toothpaste- $0.49 (1.49- $1.00 coupon)
 

I saved $13.00 off retail according to the receipt, a savings of 65%.


Total Spent: $7.76
Here is the Haul!

 

 
Same Haul- Now looking BETTER!
 

Transaction #2: @ packs of Diapers, Hair Color

Diaper 1- $6.79 ($8.79- $2.00 Walgreens Coupon)

Diaper 2- 4.80 (BOGO ½ OFF)

Hair Color- 2.49 (4.49-$2.00 Coupon)

I save $8.80 off retail according to the receipt, a savings of39%

Total Spent: $14.77

Obviously, Transaction #1 was the Golden One. But both were unnecessary at the moment- I don’t need diapers and hair color. But I will. Esentially, I do not need to buy Hair Color for the next year and a half. And I won’t be shopping for diapers until July or August. This is immensely valuable. But if I was to quantify this in terms of my weekly budget, in three days I have spent approximately $46 at Walgreens. I have had to spend more than I usually would this week in order to save over the next few months.

And it has taken me 2 weeks to learn how to clip, save, wait, and strategize. Two weeks to average 40-60% savings. Two weeks to get a few things free.

So couponing would be a hard thing to sell to someone who is truly broke. Or to someone who has no time. Basically, I don’t think couponing is something you can do as a last recourse. It is more like a hobby that you have to hone and refine and put time and money into. Simply said, it is not for everyone. And practically speaking, I think it would be immensely difficult to “coupon” one’s way out of poverty.

SAVINGS TO DATE: - $ 255.50   (previous total + $13.00 & $8.80 saved off retail)

 TIME SPENT TODAY: - 1.5 Hours (One hour shopping and 30 minutes planning for the trip and setting aside the coupons according to advertised sales in the circular).

1 comment:

  1. You have saved so much money in so little time! Your blog really motivates me to start couponing!

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete