Thursday, April 25, 2013

You Win Some...You Loose Some


Day 11

I had a negative couponing experience today. I went to a large retailer and grabbed some paper towels and razors for shaving. I had coupons for all 3 items. When I got to the register, the paper towels, which I thought were on sale, did not ring in at the sale price. The cashier explained that the smaller sized package was the one on sale. When I saw how much smaller the smaller size was, I realized that the sale, with or without the coupons, did not provide a deep enough discount to make the purchase worth it. So I left the paper towels. The discount did ring through for the razors, and I used my coupons. Then, later that day, I popped into my local gas station. To my surprise, the exact razors I had purchased at the large retailer, were on sale at the gas station mini-mart for less money. Basically, the price I paid at the retailer with the coupon, was the same as the price at the gas station, without the coupon. So I realized that I really saved nothing.

Needless to say, this retailer has been taken off my list of places to shop.

I think that the most valuable lesson I learned today is that just because something is being proclaimed as a great price, doesn’t mean that it actually is a good price. And a store that I might have considered a favorite prior to this project- it turns out- is really doing me no favors at all.

SAVINGS TO DATE: - $ 181.66   (previous total I saved nothing today)

 TIME SPENT TODAY: - 1 (I spent 1 hour shopping and didn’t save a dime!)

No comments:

Post a Comment