Sunday, May 19, 2013

School Uniform Recycle


Day 34


My daughters school uses school uniforms from a prescribed retailer. Last year, I visited the retailer with a 15% off coupon. I spent $240 and bought the following:

1 Dress

1 Skirt

1 Pair Shorts

2 Pairs of Slacks

2 Polos

1 Blouse

1 Long Sleeved Polo

1 Sweater

1 T-Shirt

---------------------------

TOTAL 11 Items

My daughter and I were quite resourceful and this shopping trip lasted us the entire year. But she absolutely needs more uniforms for next year. She has grown out of everything I purchased her last year. So I am packing the old uniforms up, in the hopes that my second daughter can use them one day as well.

This year, a parent at my daughters school advised me to attend the annual Uniform Recycle Sale. I am so glad. I spent exactly $60.99 in gently used uniforms and received the following:

3 Skirts

1 Dress

3 Polos

2 Blouses

1 Pair of Shorts

1 Pair of Capris

1 Sweater

2 Long Sleeved Polos

1 T-Shirt

---------------------------------------

TOTAL: 15 Items

So to sum it all up, I got 4 items more than last year and I spent 179.01 less than last year. And the proceeds from the sale went to a charitable cause. I really felt like everyone won in this transaction.

I know that this tip isn’t any good if your school does not have a uniform recycle sale. But remember, you can always organize an event like this at your child’s school. Or, you and a handful of parents with children of different ages can exchange uniforms and/or sell uniforms to each other. It saves money and it is environmentally friendly.

SAVINGS TO DATE: - $ 661.59  (previous total + $179.01 saved off retail)

 TIME SPENT TODAY: - 0 (uniform shopping is something we would have done anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment