Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Plastic Cup


Day 30


I went to Dunkin Donuts today to get my semi-regular cup of iced coffee. Instead of going through the drive through, I walked in. This decision was spur of the moment. It was a rare moment when I was without the kids and decided to slow down a bit and “stop to smell the coffee” so to speak.

And on the rack inside the store, I saw these cute plastic sipper cups for iced coffee. Since I sometimes make iced coffee at home, I decided to purchase a cup. I had no idea how much it would be, but I grabbed it and went to pay. When the cashier rang up my transaction, I was shocked to see that the cup was 9.99. That is one expensive plastic cup! But the girl casually mentioned that I could bring the cup in for a refill on my subsequent trips to Dunkin Donuts.

I thought that I must be the stupidest consumer in the world. $9.99 seemed ridiculous for a plastic cup. But then I considered the environmental impact of me using one less disposable cup each time I go buy coffee and I made peace with my purchase.

A few days later, on my way to work, I stopped by Dunkin Donuts with my cup for my aforementioned “refill.” And when the cashier rang me up the cup of coffee was $1 LESS than I usually pay! It turns out “refills” are cheaper than purchasing the iced coffee outright! I HAD NO IDEA! So the cup will pay for itself in 9 transactions. And I go to Dunkin Donuts for coffee at least twice a week- so in less than 5 weeks, the cup is free and then I begin SAVING on my coffee habit! And I use one less disposable cup each time.
$1.39 means I'll be BACK!
 

They should seriously promote this. It is an amazing deal for coffee drinkers. And a nice chance for me to grab a cup of coffee and relax for about $1.50.

Spread the word!

SAVINGS TO DATE: - $ 485.69  (previous total- I really won’t be “saving” with the cup until it has paid for itself in about 5 weeks)

 TIME SPENT TODAY: - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment