Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Angry Cashier



Day 38


I went to the pharmacy today and purchased some cosmetics and shampoo using a combination of coupons and store sales and catalina’s (those recept coupons that print out with some purchases). It was quite a show.

In my experience thus far, most cashiers are so supportive and accommodating and patient with my planned couponing shopping trips. But today, I ran into a wall. Everything was going smoothly until one coupon refused to scan. I had read all of the fine print and knew that it should work, so I insisted that she “try again”. When she did, it did work (I’m not sure what buttons she had to push to make it work, but suffice to say that it did work).

 Then, I showed her a bar code that was sent to me via e-mail for an additional $3 off of a purchase. The e-mail clearly said, cashier “can scan code from smartphone or printout” but she insisted that she could not scan my phone. I asked if we could “try it” and she became cross and shouted across to another cashier, “Can you explain to this lady that I can’t scan a phone!” Then she looked at me menacingly and said, “Do you want me to call a manager?!”

I should have said “yes.”

But there was a line and she was upset, and it is a coupon that won’t expire soon, so I said “no, it’s ok.” And I left spending $3 more than I was planning.

But the receipt from this transaction printed out even more coupons and savings, so I will definitely be back- but perhaps I will visit another location!

SAVINGS TO DATE: - $ 661.59  (previous total- I will calculate this transaction with another transaction at the same chain in a later post)

 TIME SPENT TODAY: - 20 minutes (10 planning and 10 shopping)

No comments:

Post a Comment