Friday, May 24, 2013

To Buy or Not to Buy: My take on unnecessary items


Day 39


Perhaps it is because I started this project in the spring, but I have noticed a large amount of sales on allergy medications. Every week there are some really deep savings on allergy meds. I once calculated that I could have gotten a bottle of a brand name allergy medication of about $0.60. It almost seemed “too good to pass up.” But I did pass it up.

I passed it up because it is a totally unnessisary purchase for me. Nobody in my household uses allergy medications. Perhaps if I were to find a friend or family member who uses the medications I have found on sale, I would advise them and help them score some deep savings. But the idea of stocking items that we do not use does not appeal to me. And the way I reason it, if it is a product I will never use, then it is a waste of money. Even if it is pocket change, it is a waste of pocket change.

If it were an item I could donate, like dog food for my local animal shelter or canned goods I could donate to a soup kitchen, I might feel differently. But I just cannot bring myself to purchase a deeply discounted item that I can’t fathom a use for.

Perhaps you feel differently. If so, please comment, I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment